Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Breakfast with Hobbes

So Saturday was my bday. As is my habit on my bday, I had plans. I get up at whatever time I either set the alarm for (weekdays) or whenever Hobbes, my indoor cat, gets me up (weekends) and prior to breakfast but after hot chocolate, sit on the couch and watch Breakfast at Tiffanys. I watch it alllllll the way through, waiting for the part where Holly and Paul are arguing in the cab, and it's raining and Cat is there with them. And as Holly asks the cab driver to pull over and tosses out Cat, I have myself a good cry. I know that it SOUNDS depressing, but believe me, it's not. It's tradition by now, and I was really rather looking forward to it, truth be told.

So – Saturday … I woke up, fed Hobbes, got my hot chocolate and, since it was already fairly warm, I decided to open the front door to get a little morning air through the place. The screen was closed, and Hobbes spent some time ignoring me, taking in the air. I popped in the DVD and got prepared to laugh, sigh and cry.

The moment arrives. Holly is bailed from jail, Paul greets her with a huge hug, and it's lightly raining. They're in the cab, the rain gets harder, she tosses out Cat, I begin to well up. They drive a bit further, Paul gets out and tells her about the cage that she's created for herself, and he walks back to try to find Cat. I have the tissue at the ready ready. Holly gets out of the cab, runs back, sees Paul and starts calling "Cat! Cat!" and I'm starting to feel a single tear of what I'm actually hoping will be many …


… and Hobbes starts to meow. No – wait, that's not accurate. He begins to yowl. Loudly. Each and every time Holly calls out "Cat?", it is met by an equally loud "meorwl" from Hobbes. Now there's no way that I can pause the film here and keep the moment, so I continue to let it run as I yell out "shut the hell up" to Hobbes and Holly calls "Cat!" in the movie and Hobbes responds in kind to both of us. So the three of us are yelling and the moment is gone and …

... I mean – how can that not be funny? At the time, I was rather angry 'cause he managed to wreck a really good cry but, actually, the whole scene was, in fairness, pretty damn funny.

No comments: