I went to my "big city" offices last Thursday, to see my co-workers before the Christmas – er – "winter" break - to pick up a few packages that were waiting for me, and to go ice skating with a new friend.
When I arrived, I was greeted by my friend and ex-coworker Thea, who has just returned from her college graduation and was likely the best receptionist our company has ever had. In the 20 minutes that she was there, Thea mentioned that she'd be interested in returning to work full-time for the company and, by the time she left, she had MANY active leads. She was surprised by this, I was not. I also won't be surprised if she doesn't return and goes elsewhere. She's a really great worker and will be a valued team-member wherever she winds up. While we didn't keep in touch during her absence, I hope to hear from her now that she's back on the West Coast.
I walked across the street and met my new friend, Lucy. After a stroll through a cooking store (where, being food geeks, we drooled at the knives and copperware), we went ice skating. I had visions of broken bones and falling flat on my face but, upon stepping onto the ice, immediately skated off as 'tho I was born in colder weather. (I'd be lying I didn't say it felt good to hear Lucy say, as I took off, "I thought you said you were no good at this?") We spent about a half an hour going for a bit, then stopping and seeing how other folks were doing, and then we turned in our skates and went to my coffee shop for a warm-up beverage, which we drank in the lobby of my office.
While we were there, maybe 12 or 15 folks walked by, greeted me and my new friend, caught me up on the latest happenings, and soon it was nearly 6pm. As we were leaving, Lucy mentioned that I worked at an amazing place with incredibly gifted and kind people. And I couldn't agree more.
As if to reconfirm that impression, I had lunch with Tim the next day. The food was just alright, but the company was terrific. He caught me up on his latest travels (which he did during his sabbatical) and such. I can't say where his head was during this meal, but mine was wondering how much longer we'd be co-workers, and what will happen when I move on. I know we'll always be friends. I know that I'll always be able to call him to ask what time it is in India if it is 10:15am in Chicago, and he'll always be able to send me a document for proofreading, but I also know that things WILL change. With these questions and fears echoing in my head, I drove him back to work, handed him his presents (which, of course, he protested against, until I told him that he'd have to share them with Simon) and drove home without the radio, just listening to the sounds of the city through Jake's ragtop.
And, waiting for me at home, was an email from Scott – reminding me that distance does not define true friendship. No matter if they're new friends, or friends you know only via the Internet, or friends that have known you since before you knew yourself – distance shouldn't be part of that equation.
I know that the approaching year has MANY changes in store for me … some I am expecting, some will catch me off-guard, some I'll be responsible for, and some will come from the actions of others in my life.
And, since stopping time isn't an option, all I can do is hang tight and greet 2008 and all it will bring with an optimism I may not yet truly feel. But perhaps that too will come. I guess I should just plan on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment