Friday, April 17, 2009

Under The Sea-cup

I recently scribbled about "flawed logic", and two of you were able to relate so much that you commented (which, by the way, I always love to see). To answer the question at hand, no - I did not give in to the weakness and buy the car. I'm still thinking about it but I am happy to report that I haven't seen the vehicle since I wrote so that helps. Out of sight apparently means one less check to write, which is fine by me.

I also wrote about a shopping trip and I experienced logic there too - not "flawed" so much as ... errrr ... well "specific".

So I'm trying to purchase "separate but equal" gifts for my nieces, who share the same month for their birth dates (with two years in between). Having grown up with parents that practiced the "separate but equal" gift giving very well, and having been the appreciative recipient of that thoughtfulness, I'm very aware that this is important. Each daughter (or niece) should have the same amount of packages to open, of about the same size, and be similar enough so that there's no (or, at least, LESS) chance for any jealousy.

I was doing well. For each mermaid-themed item, there was a similarly priced princess-themed item available. That is right up until I saw the mermaid-themed beach bag ... perfect for the "mermaid on the go" I suppose.

(A quick aside ... the more-awesome-every-day boyfriend asked if the bag was shaped like a clam shell and I said "no - it's just a bag, 'tho your design idea makes sense. Except hmmmm - wouldn't that mean the mermaid has killed a clam-friend of hers for a purse?" and then we got into a whole discussion of the clam shells that mermaids have been known to design in to bras. Anyway, suffice to say that I was very impressed with his line of logical thought. Not surprised but yes, impressed. My guy knows from his mermaids, apparently.)

With mermaid-themed beach bag in hand, I walked to the register to inquire about the availability of a princess purse. There was a brief pause and then the employee said, with a totally straight face, "Princesses don't carry purses."

Huh.

So mermaids have bag needs but princesses don't carry purses. I guess in a way that makes sense. Princesses have staff that can carry their items for them, after all, and mermaids have fish as friends and fish .. well, fish just have fins so mermaids kinda have to have a bag to carry ...

... uhhhhh ...

... stay tuned. This weekend I'll ask the 2 year old mermaid expert what exactly mermaids carry in their bags and will report back.

1 comment:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

"... stay tuned. This weekend I'll ask the 2 year old mermaid expert what exactly mermaids carry in their bags and will report back."

-Pearlescent lipgloss
-Their kale headband
-Pink fingernail polish