There was a time, about a decade ago, when I was VERY into wine. This was a time when I had a lot of people around me whom I called my friends, a quiet evening at home would be something I'd do only as a very last resort, and I was just starting to think about buying a brand-new vehicle just for me, even though it wasn't really necessary. It wouldn't be totally inaccurate to say that I was very wrapped up in "things".
Today I sold my collection of wine, dusty from years of inactivity, to a local agency. I used that "just for me" vehicle to do this and, after I dropped off the bottles, I did a few around town errands. I've got a mental checklist that tells me I need to visit one of my closest friends for a little catch-up time, and have been enjoying MANY quiet evenings. My days are spent donating, boxing up, or throwing out "things". It seems that there is very little that I can't leave behind.
Life, it seems, has been very kind to me overall and has given me many things to think about. Oh sure - when I've lost sight of what REALLY matters, life has had no problem in smackin' me around a little bit (as this space and those closest to me will attest). But those smaller disappointments saved me from making HUGE mistakes in the long run. Any wounds that life inflicted are now just foggy memories ... ghosts with no one left to haunt.
It's more than just my being in everlasting love that does this. It's more than the sweetest thing or terrific blue sky days or having a plan in place that I will follow and everyone embraces. It's more than amazing timing or tossing a coin into a wishing well and wishing for someone else's wish to come true or just desire itself. In fact, as of late, when I look at the world, it is - indeed - a beautiful day. And, in a little while?
Grace.
(Written while listening to U2 ... duh.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment