Friday, September 18, 2009

A New Place For My "Stuff"

Over the past couple of years, I've tried to reduce the amount of general "stuff" that I have. If you'd asked me three months ago if I had been successful in my quest, I would have said that yes, I had been. Now - I know better.

It is amazing - and a bit sickening - to me just how many material possessions I have. While I always have believed in being comfortable in ones surroundings, this is ridiculous. I have more than 75lbs of CDs. I have to believe that I have that many pounds of DVDs too - possibly more. Don't even TALK to me about clothing ... or hats ... or earrings ... coats ... belts. (I can't even remember the last time I WORE a belt - but I have more than half a dozen of 'em, "just in case".) Today I unearthed every single paycheck I'd ever earned from a job I had in the '80s. My shredder ate so much I had to give it some Tums.

And books!! Gosh, if I had the ability to actually remember the things I've read, I'd be thrilled. ("Books", by the way, doesn't cover "cookbooks" ... which is a whole different kind of evil.) I can say that I don't really have much in the way of "collections", save for the works of my favorite comic strip artist and my favorite animated character. But I make up for that in sooooooo many other ways.

Next week, whatever "stuff" I decide I cannot be comfortable without will be moving to a new location. My short-term goal is to not overwhelm myself or those around me as these items find their place in my new home. My longer-term goal is to never again unearth paychecks that are 20+years old. (Seriously - that's just embarrassing.)

No comments: