Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's Right There In Black And White

Post-move, the frenzy of "feathering the nest" has, for the most part, slowed way down. We've been looking for an entertainment stand (not one of those "centers" that takes over a room - just a long, fairly low-profile bench-style wooden cabinet) which will hold the TV (which we also haven't yet purchased) in the living room and a few lamps or end tables, and then we'll turn our attention to the spare bedroom/office (which lacks a bed and a workspace currently) but that's really about it.

One Christmas when I was a young kid, I watched with envy as my sister opened her very own TV, which she'd be placing in her bedroom and would begin to lord it over me. It wasn't so much that I wanted a TV in my bedroom, but more about her having one and my not.

As a teen, I turned my attention more towards music, my friends, boys, my pet birds, and shopping (not necessarily in that order) and it never entered my head to ask for a TV for my bedroom. I never missed it and it never occurred to me that I didn't have one.

In the various studios and apartments that I've lived in since then, the TV always was placed in the living room. If there was anything in the bedroom that was plugged in, it was either a clock radio, a stereo or a reading lamp.

(I'm leading up to something here, I promise.)

Yesterday, shortly after 11am, a 42-inch TV was delivered to my door, and was installed in the master bedroom. As it was sitting on a corner-shaped stand, it didn't take up nearly as much room as I was originally fearing it would. I decided to connect the BluRay/DVD player to it and get it in working order so that, when the awesome boyfriend visited later in the day, he'd be pleased with the newest item in the home.

I read through the "easy set up guide" (don't even get me started on THAT) and followed the suggested connections to the letter, put batteries in both remote controls and got things up and running (after a few false starts). After programming the time and date on the TV, I fired up the BluRay/DVD. (It's a very nice machine ... literally. It started with a message to me ... "Welcome" and then "please wait")

I loaded the only BluRay I had at my disposal - the very classic holiday movie "It's a Wonderful Life" - and lo and behold, after a few more whirrs and clicks, there was Frank Capra's quaint title screen. Crisp. Sharp. Clear ... and with sound, even. I was thrilled and decided to test my success with a DVD, just to be sure that it wasn't a fluke. I grabbed a DVD that the awesome boyfriend had loaned to me, and ejected the BluRay disc. The DVD loaded and ...

it was crisp. Sharp. Clear and with sound. But ... it was in black and white. And I moved connections around but couldn't get it to show in anything BUT black and white. I read the setup guide suggestions again. I turned things off. I rotated plugs. I stared at the diagram. I stared at the back of the TV. I stared at the back of the BluRay/DVD player. I turned things back on again and in a different order. Black and white. Drat - why had the BluRay worked so well but the DVD wouldn't cooperate?

And it was that moment when I realized that my first success? Yeah, I had loaded a black and white movie.
****************************************
(It should be noted that the awesome boyfriend fixed this issue in the first 5 minutes of being home.)

No comments: