It could be worse.
No one is on fire.
No one is shooting at me.
No limbs are at risk.
No lives are at stake.
I embrace that. Really, I do. I am now, and have always been, the glass-size-is fine type. I have found silver linings in the darkest things. (Health issues? Thank heavens for well-informed doctors. Car troubles? Automobiles are a luxury. Airplane delay? Travel is amazing in this century and airports are great for people-watching. Bad hair day? What a cute hat!)
Along with a good portion of the state, The Awesome Fiance and I lost our electricity late Friday evening. It was hoooooooooooooot that day. We scrambled Saturday morning, calling vets to see about boarding the cats (no dice - no power there, either), rearranged the entire house to move the felines into the basement (yay! moving hot, angry cats to strange parts of the home is sweaty work!), picked up dry ice for our home (and two others), adjusted our whole weekend plan (more jam-making) and tried to keep our heads on straight. We skipped dinner (it was too hot to eat) and spent the night in two different homes (notice I didn't say we SLEPT in different homes ... there was very little sleeping where I was due to bouncy kitties and a not-comfortable sleeping surface). Sunday morning started early with setting up a generator to power the bare essentials in three homes (not including air conditioning unfortunately) and lots of sitting in the dark trying too not notice it was 87 degrees inside the house before Noon.
Oh - and our air conditioner was having issues last weekend, too, so this was the second weekend in a row with too-much in-home heat.
And I drank a big gulp of sour milk (accidentally). And got chewed up by mosquitoes. And The Awesome Fiance walked into the corner of a dresser and bruised the heck out of his arm. And we sweated. A lot.
By Sunday mid-day, we were done with it. We went out for lunch and to a bookstore - mostly for the indoor cool air. We reluctantly headed back home and re-rearranged the feline population, recognizing it was too warm inside for them to be too angry at each other. The house properly trashed (boxes everywhere, hastily arranged drapes, cardboard blockades in stairwells), we gave up by 9:30pm and tried to get *some* rest.
So of course the power popped back on at 10pm.
Thus began the un-trashing of the house, the un-hooking of the generator, the re-re-rearrangement of the now totally over it felines. Showers were taken, fans were strategically placed and by Midnight, we were nearly back to normal. I awoke at 4:45am to relocate the final feline (once the air conditioning had done the trick upstairs) and pretty much was up from that point onwards ... just in time for work.
So go ahead and tell me to be grateful that the power is restored (I am) and that the air conditioning is even available (of course). Remind me that there huge wild fires eating up a good portion of Colorado (I'm aware of that) and that we're lucky our water service was never interrupted (I agree).
And I will still tell you to kindly shut the fuck up.
No comments:
Post a Comment