Friday, June 13, 2008

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it

I have gephyrophobia. (It’s ok – I wash my hands all the time and I’m pretty sure that ya’ can’t catch it that way anyway.) I’ve made mention of this in the past – I believe I talked about last in September, when I had to cross an overpass I’d never seen before, on foot, during a half-marathon.

Tim, Scott, Mike ,and Andy have all seen me deal with this fear – and depending on the traffic, the vehicle I’m in, the lane I’m using, which bridge is being crossed, what time of day, etc it is, I can be paralyzed and awful about it or pretty low-key and casual. (I’d like to apologize publically to Scott, Mike and Andy for the incident I had while we went wine tasting last time. I’ve become much more adept at crossing the Golden Gate now that I have to do so four times a week. I’ve now done it so many times that I can do it topless *and* with music.)

Oh, and I can cross the bridge, too!

I have some acquaintances who are collecting data for an experiment and they wanted to measure my stress levels on the four main Bay Area bridges. Happily, it was a beautiful day outside - hardly any wind, great temperature, and lots of great sunlight. It was a good day for science and I had nothing else lined up so I agreed. (They thought about testing my coulrophobia too, but I had to draw the line somewhere. After all, these folks are just acquaintances – they’ve never even seen me naked.)

I started off in the morning with my coffee run and a minor detour when I was pulled over by a local cop – who looked like any other average 14 year old – who wanted to make sure I had a current registration sticker. I, of course, do – I just hadn’t put it on my car yet so after he complimented me on my driver’s license photo, he put the sticker on for me and I went on my way.

The day was uneventful – but we covered quite a bit of ground … literally. I drove over each bridge twice (“up” and “back”). I used my own car, and borrowed a team members’ truck - sometimes there was a car full of folks with me, other times it was just me and a passenger - sometimes we had music, other times dead silence. No results were discussed with me as to how I “did” (it’s not really a pass or fail kind of a thing), and I’ll do this little exercise a few more times with the crew – at other times of day or night and all sorts of varying circumstances – so that the data collected is as reflective of “real life” as possible. Overall though, I’d have to say I was pretty blasé by the experience.

I’m typing this back at home. The next door neighbor has a teenage son who has, apparently, decided to learn to play the base. He is JUST starting out, but I can safely report that he’s mastered getting the amp volume level to 11.

Hmmm … I wonder what my stress level is now?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I freakin' HATE covered bridges. When I was a kid I'd squeeze myself into the footwell of the back seat of my parents car when we went over the Prairie du Chien bridge. Open bridges are fine, but covered bridges, especially the really tight, steel lattice ones, drive me nuts. I get vertigo. I'm usually okay now-a-days if I've got a few seconds to amp myself up (or hold Beenie's hand) while I'm going over but I hate "surprise" bridges. You roll around a corner and Voila! We've decided to put a 3 mile long trestle bridge out her... just for your enjoyment.. have fun!

Bastards! One of these days I'm going to be stressed out about other things and I'm not going to have the emotional reserves to pull myself together for one of those bastards. I just hope I'm driving with someone else at the time. Imagine explaining that one to the Police.