Thursday, September 25, 2008

Even with a Trojan, Beavers can cause messes

At 5:45pm this evening, as I was unwinding from a busy day, I plopped myself in front of "the idiot box" and said "ok - do your thing" to the black screen. Happily, I was rewarded not just with football ... but with college football. Actually, not just college football, but USC vs. Oregon State. Color me *very*happily*satifsifed.

Because you see ... I am a Trojan gal.

(insert obvious joke here)

Oh sure I know ... "University of Spoiled Children" and all the other crap you can say ... I've heard it all. But I just don't care. I love watching these kids play, I love watching these kids win, and most of all, I really love watching the crowd shots, especially when it's a home game. All those moms in the stadium just TRYING to smile in spite of their recent Botox shots, the dads showing off their recent hair plugs ... there's more silicon in those stands than Michael Dell and Bill Gates ever dreamed of.

The only bummers were (1) this wasn't a home game, and (B) I was a few minutes early, which means it was pre-game yammer time. The first reporter was interviewing various USC players, briefly, to ask what their strategy would be, how they felt, etc. These man-children were pumped and ready to go.

At that point, another reporter started interviewing various Oregon fans. I noticed that all the folks being asked questions were women, which I felt was a little odd considering this was a home game. I mean, there musta been plenty of chances to talk to Oregon players but *shrug* ... it was at this point that both teams took to the field.

The broadcast was still showing the faces of the women that had just been interviewed, and the reporter said "...and as you can see, there are Beavers all over the field now."

Which is when I did an honest-to-God spit-take.

And that is why this entry is titled as it is. I'm sure I'll have to say some extra "Our Fathers" this weekend ...

2 comments:

kat said...

*sigh* I hate when I have to forgive people for poor choice of teams just 'cuz I wuv them. ;)

Anonymous said...

"Wide open beavers...."
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.