One year ago (to the day) at about this time, I was driving like mad from SFO to my parent's home. My father had suffered a pretty good-sized heart attack while hunting out-of-state. My mom was at home alone while my sister was trying to manage the "what do we do now" stuff and I was out-of-state having far too much fun.
Ahhh guilt - the gift that keeps on giving.
I talked with my folks today and when my mom mentioned it was "the anniversary of the day", my father kinda brushed it off and started listing all the things around the house they'd accomplished since then.
They'd cleaned out the storage room downstairs (where stuff they didn't know what to do with was stashed ... for years), they'd repainted both houses on the property, he'd finished restoring two cars, they got their estate completely together (legally), he reorganized the attic and both garages, he'd helped fell quite a few trees and stacked unknown piles of wood, etc. It was quite a list for someone who, for the past year, had been ordered by doctors to "take it easy".
And, while he was ticking these things off, I heard the all-too-familiar sound of a can of cola being opened, and then I heard ice in a glass. My folks are not "drink sodas in glasses" types - so this was destined to be a rum and Pepsi for my dad.
I don't know why it didn't suprise me. I wish it had. I don't know when it started up again, 'tho in thinking about it, I realize it's been several months.
Will I say anything? Oh probably. I'm the out-spoken one who gets away with things like that. But I don't expect any changes really. Just wanna go on record as the one saying "no - bad idea."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment