I gotta share this with a fellow foodie, who would "get" how cool this is gonna be. Psychiatrists write to Freud - I figured writing to you made sense. I hope you'll indulge me.
I write this note from my Blackberry device at 3:45pm on December 10th while sitting in the Ferry Building in San Francisco, CA. I am an hour early for my "appointed task" and my mind is racing.
My best group professional meal - meaning my best restaurant meal with friends - was at Tru with "my guys" (Andy and Scott) when we were at a sales meeting in Chicago. I told them they'd be expected to dress for dinner and that the entire menu was open to us - no barriers whatsoever. It was 4 hours long, 17 courses, 4 bottles of wine and a tab that was steep - but worth every cent. (We all still very fondly remember the asparagus soup.)
My best solo professional meal, however, was at The French Laundry. I stopped on a whim, was graciously seated immediately, and was overwhelmed by the food, the staff, the kindness, and the experience. I have been a few times - but I remember that one time the most fondly.
Now it is 3:50pm.
I will shortly wander to the end of the building, pick up the books I purchased more than a month ago, and stand patiently (but eagerly) in line. Chef Thomas Keller will arrive at 5pm, I will request his signature on the copies of his book and ... I'm practically high thinking about how much joy these gifts will bring.
One of the gift books is an "expected" present. I informed the person I'd be doing this so that she didn't go get her own copy. I mentioned it quite awhile ago though, so it will still be a bit of a surprise. The other giftee, however, has *no* idea I'm doing this.
He is, for lack of any other more gracious term, the man in my life and he's talked of enjoying a meal there but hasn't done so ... yet. He has great respect for the culinary arts and, 'tho it his not his "day job", I've seen what he can do in a kitchen and I am intimidated by his natural talent and artistry (which he'd shrug off if I were to tell him point-blank).
And now it is 4:00pm.
After the gifts have been given - in fifteen long days - I will probably blog of this experience. I hope I'll have a photo of Chef Keller signing a book - I likely won't have the nerve to pose with him for a photo. But that I can grant this unrequested wish fills me with SUCH joy. And I wanted to share it with you, Julia.
And now it is 4:05pm and I'll walk closer to the designated waiting area.
Bon Appétit!
******************December 26th ...
Chef Keller signed both copies of his book and had the good humor to suggest that we use the camera I was holding for a photo of the two of us together. Chef Keller probably assumed I was nervous to meet him, which was partially true. I was mostly anxious because I knew the books would be appreciated as gifts. And I'm happy to report that they very much were.