Monday, February 9, 2009

"My remote doesn't work - can you help?"

My friend Kat at "Insert Pithy Title Here" recently blogged about a minor brain hiccup she experienced. In an show of solidarity (and as I stumble to her side in my own Dunce hat), here is a "duh" moment I had over the weekend:

The economy is in the toilet (this is not the "duh moment) and I've been watching how various segments of the country - and county, for that matter - are reacting. People that have always been charitable with their wallets are instead giving their time or cleaning out their closets while others are shopping sales only. Folks whose employment status has been impacted are looking outside their career paths and embracing the idea of getting a job - any job - to just get by. And there are the extremely ambitious few creating their own luck by starting to launch their dream.

Which is what I thought when I saw a small white pickup truck with the words "AAA Battery Delivery and Installation" written on a sign in their window as they drove down the road. Here was an individual with a specific dream using the economy to create their own luck.

And my next thought was "what kind of moron needs to CALL someone to deliver and install AAA batteries?"

1 comment:

kat said...

Oh, that's great! :)

Thanks for the commiseration - I felt like a total dork when it hit me.