Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Nice Going, Moron!

When I came to a decision on what to name this ... this place, "Fall to Grace" seemed to fit.  I strive to be fairly graceful, both in movement and in tact, and a lot of times I fall short.

I try not to take pleasure or smile knowingly when I see someone "put their foot in it" because I've been that person oh so many times.  I've never asked a woman "when are you due?" and have them turned out to not be expecting a child, because simple common sense tells me not to ask that question unless I have confirmed knowledge that she is, in fact, pregnant.  I have, however, managed to put myself in plenty of awkward situations over the decades.  It's not fun.

That being said, I recently was part of an audience to an exchange that, honestly, both pissed me off and humbled me.  Someone - not me - made a "funny" remark as a response to an UN-funny situation because ... well honestly, I don't know why.  I can only guess that their common sense trigger didn't ignite.  To the credit of the recipient of the remark, rather than climb up one side and down the other and dope-slap the moron, the benefit of intent was given and everyone moved on.

Seeing someone do something dumb and taking pleasure in it may not be my way.  However, watching someone do something that good ol' common sense would typically jump up and say "HEY!!!  That's NOT a good idea!   Step away from the snarling, rabid mongoose!" ... well, that's another story.

But I'd rather focus on the actions of the anti-moron (in the above situation) for a moment.  This individual was given a bright green light, red carpet lined runway, all fees paid pass to rip said-moron to shreds, but did not.  Instead the person actively chose to respond with class and grace that I just am in awe over.

I've already had a few awkward moments and exchanges when it comes to my having Parkinson's - nothing major or terribly insulting but still a little "crunchy".  I've made it a point to have everyone feel at ease about asking me questions (which is NOT my nature because of my tendency to protect my privacy at all costs) because I want to be at ease about my Parkinson's.  It's a practice I hope I can continue down the line.  No matter how tempted I may be from the all-fees paid pass to do otherwise.

No comments: