I'm sorry in advance. I should note, in fairness, that I'm NOT a fan of Jerry Lewis and his alleged "talent".
Jerry Lewis, for all the good he's done (and he's done a LOT of good) will never see a dime from me. Why? Because during his MD telethon this weekend, he forgot himself and "made a funny". He went on quickly and revisited it after the broadcast was over to say "whoops" but that's far too little and far too late.
As I won't be repeating the alleged "funny", I'd like to recreate it in a fashion so you can cringe along with me. Let's say that, during the broadcast, Jerry (who yes is up there in years AND I'm sure was tired and emotionally drained) made a comment about a camera-man's family being on-set. Something like "Oh, and there's Debbie, your illiterate, retarded daughter" … or "Debbie, your illiterate, mute daughter" … or "Debbie, your illiterate, MD-ridden daughter".
Right – see? NOT funny.
So Mr. Lewis, thank you for helping me take one more charity off my list of places to donate. I'll be putting my money in groups that have the good sense to hire mouthpieces that DON'T "forget" themselves, that know when a camera is on them, or that just plain don't spend any money on an extravaganza like yours and instead put that money to helping the causes they fight for.
And it's a shame, honestly, because the kids that you stand up for really do need someone to speak for them. However, given what you decided to say, perhaps they'll be better off to speak for themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment