Monday, October 1, 2007

Not "Jewels" ... Jus’ "Jules"

On Sunday, I treated myself to some long-overdue shoe shopping. As I've been reminded, I have VERY expensive tastes in shoes, but as I've reminded back, I buy said shoes VERY infrequently so it all works out. Same for my taste in sunglasses – if I spend $450 on a pair of sunglasses, but use them for 3 years, that works out to 41 cents a day to have good sunglasses … versus say spending $25 on a pair and losing them every 4 months.

Shoe and Sunglasses Math – as brought to you by yours truly.

So I went to the very expensive, high-end mall (next to the very expensive, high-end University) and handed over Jake's keys to the mall valet. (I TOLD you this was a high-end mall. I'm not kidding.) A quick aside – I was wearing my hair in a pony tail, some Levis and a tee-shirt that said "Sheetrock Happens. New Orleans, LA". I did, however, make sure to wear a pair of low heels with socks, so as to try on what would hopefully be my new shoes.

I arrived to the Ladies Premium Designer Shoe department and walked to the area where "my" shoes would be found. I found what I wanted, I know my size for that designer, and so I'm holding a shoe in my hand and looking around for someone to assist, right? This individual in a three-piece suit and name tag was standing very close with seemingly nothing to do, so I approached him and asked if he could help me. He strolled away, without giving me so much as a second-glance.

Interesting – but not a unique experience. I refuse to "dress my part", as some do. I don't wear makeup unless the occasion calls for it. I don't have a manicurist and, currently, am sporting a blackened nail from work I've done in Biloxi, MS. PROUDLY sporting, I should add. I earned that baby. I have some jewelry that I wear regularly but you wouldn't recognize it right away as being from Tiffany's. The only diamond that is always with me is in the middle of my gold cross, which I purchased from Ireland. Even Jake, whom I adore, isn't fancy really. In short – I do not wear my so-called "worth" on my sleeve. I would far rather be judged by my heart than my pocketbook.

Anyway, I found another associate who was also busy, but not too busy to assist. She came from the back empty-handed, telling me that she'd order what I was looking for if I'd write down some info for her, which I did. When she came back to review what I'd written, I asked her if the guy that ignored me was a manager. She told me he wasn't, so after I ordered a second pair of shoes, I approached him again.

"Excuse me – can I have a moment of your time please?" I asked. "Of course", he said. "What can I help you with?" "Oh – not a thing, actually. That ship has sailed," I replied. "I just wanted to let you know that I just gave one of your co-workers my business in the amount of more than $1,100 in cash because you decided to not hear me when I first asked for help just a few moments ago. Perhaps next time you'll be more observant or, possibly, less judgmental." Then me and my jeans, tee shirt, and ponytail strolled away.

Now is it possible that this person literally didn't hear me? Of course it is. However the look on his face told me otherwise.

I hope that *I* remember what I tried to teach this clown. It's easy – hell, it's in our NATURE – to have snap judgments on other human beings. I hope that I continue to be judged incorrectly as a reminder not to do so myself.

No comments: