I try to be mindful in NOT talking about other people. I don't always succeed, but I *do* make the attempt. This entry will be different. This is ALL ABOUT talking about someone else.
As I've already written, on Saturday Sept 16th, I participated in a fund-raising half-marathon in an effort to support a coworker and friend of mine who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Todd is married and lives in another state. I worked directly with him and adopted him into the inner circle of "my guys" that I knew I could hang out with and not have to worry about offending, etc. Todd is a supremely decent guy – honest and true to his word, kind-hearted and soft-spoken with a terrific sense of humor. I mention this only because he *IS* a sales guy, but he doesn't fit the typical sales-guy mold, which is why I knew we could be friends. (That's true for every one of "my guys" – not a typical one in the bunch.)
Todd sent out this email yesterday.
"I would like to express my extreme gratitude for the support that each of you have provided to me and my family over the past 8 months. Throughout the process, I was always comfortable that my company and my friends had my back covered while I worked through the details of treatment.
I am happy to announce that last Friday I took a host of tests and just received word that my cancer is in remission. (That is as close as you can get to being cured.)
Please do not respond. I just wanted to say thanks …. I'm back!"
Of course, I immediately called him and I said something elegant and touching like "F**K yes!" We talked for a few minutes, and I followed it up with an email to him reminding him that I don't ever want to have to walk another mile to support his sorry behind. He gave me his word that me he'd do his best.
As I mentioned above, I believe that Todd is a guy who stays true to his word. I pray that I'm right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment