Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Robert Steinberg

I remember Scharffenberger as a tiny little (but awesome) winery in the Anderson Valley.

I remember snorting in disbelief when I learned that John Scharffenberger was moving from grapes to beans.

I remember rolling my eyes when I dug a little deeper and saw that John's partner in this "chocolate adventure" was a doctor - with no real experience in the food industry.

And

I remember when I slowed down and actually tasted quality, small-batch chocolate for the first time in my life. (This is a big deal - because I consume HUGE amounts of chocolate each year, mostly in powdered form. It seems that I go nowhere if there isn't a mug of hot chocolate nearby.)

Robert Steinberg - David Lebovitz

The joke, it seems, was on me.

Not only was Robert Steinberg a good, caring, well-respected doctor, but he was a quality-concerned, caring, well-respected chocolatier, too.

I hope he doesn't take my scoffing too hard. If he makes me wash dishes before I get my mug of hot chocolate in heaven, I'll know why. But at least I know there will be GOOD chocolate to be had up there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather you drink your cocoa here for the time being if that is all right with you. ;-)