Shame on me for not reading the HandsOn Gulf Coast Blog more frequently (it's RIGHT there ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> after all), but “the kids” were never great about keeping it current and I just got lazy, I guess.
In any event, “Camp Cockroach”, thus named by Paula in Week #1, was shut down in November, 2008. I suspect all volunteer efforts are now completely partnered with the Hope Center … and any AmeriCorps or HandsOn volunteers (like Doug and George from Weeks #3 & #4) are likely long-term only and probably live in rented homes.
I realize that the whole idea of the Hope Center in the first place was to have one central organized place for the next massive storm recovery effort (because honestly, there WILL be "the next one"). But progress or not, it's still saddens me to read that the camp - with the temperamental sewage pipes, awful to non-existent insulation and completely uninvited bug residents (hence the well-earned nickname) - is now just another vacant building in Gulfport, MS.
I will still, however, years from now, turn onto Pass Road, drive past the "Gas-n-Go", look for the Post Office on the left-side of the road and make the sharp right turn into the driveway at 2113 (an address I know as well as my own) to show the building that housed hope, in the form of a bunch of loud, pierced, rowdy, hard-partying kids who were doing work that the rest of the nation said couldn't be done.I'm so glad they let me play in their sandbox.
No comments:
Post a Comment