There's just something about it, I guess.
I have five (!!) portable electronic calendars (either available on a handheld device or a laptop), a calendar on the back of my checkbook, a handy-little reminder calendar from the local card shop, a large movie-poster themed calendar hanging in the hallway and yet, somehow, there's something about my calendar from Graphic Image that I just adore.
My first experience with their product line was more than a decade ago. It was a whim purchase - made shortly after I'd changed jobs and had managed to boost my salary significantly. It was a tan calendar, bound in leather that had that "new car" smell, and included things like a time-zone listing, maps of larger cities around the world, an expense listing area, telephone and address book, and three different ways to keep track of the days, weeks and months. It was NOT a "planner" - I'd tried and failed at keeping up with a planner before. (Alright alright - I lost the damn thing, ok? I admit I see the irony of LOSING ONE'S DAY PLANNER.) Anyway what I had here was a book - and I treated it as such. I even designated a specific pen for writing in it.
I referenced it years (and jobs) later. I shared it with Tim and Jennifer as my "go to" volume for metric conversions, currency exchange rates, foreign embassy listings throughout the world, and maps (even 'tho some of the countries had changed names and the calendar was completely useless). It followed me from desk to desk and served me well.
Over the holiday season while digging through "work" boxes in the garage, I rediscovered my original book from so long ago and treated myself to a 2009 version. It arrived on Monday and, as I opened it, that same sense of reverence came over me. My name is embossed on the leather cover which, happily, does have a "new car" scent to it, so there's no reason to write in it - yet. Which is nice because currently the first thing that comes to mind to write down would be a doctor's appointment or lab visit.
And ... well ... that's just not how I wanna start this book of days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I always start a new planner by writing in little celebrations of life - birthdays and anniversaries. Days that, even though they haven't yet happened, I know I want to remember.
Post a Comment