Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Green" Orange Juice, Beach-based Bathtubs, Tire Swings and Footballs

I notice advertising. More accurately, I notice either very effective or very INeffective advertising.

It is especially obvious (to me) when a new glut of advertising is released and there are times of the year when this occurs. The change of the seasons, for instance, brings about more "cozy, fireplace, indoor-based" or more "beach, active, youth and young-at-heart-based" ads. The July/August time of year ensures the new vehicle advertisements. Entertainment awards, fashion week, and even a change in government can bring out new ads. I've noticed a recent set of ads for a beverage and the model in the ad looks suspiciously like (checks her watch) our new President.
I'll admit that this is subtle but this kind of "arranged coincidence" can be very effective. Doesn't that family look happy and somewhat familiar? Safe? Energetic? In good health? Sure they do! "Yes" to all those things and clearly that's the result of their choice of orange juice. Uh huh.

(By the way - I actually buy Tropicana's Pure Premium OJ ... and just found this site this morning. If you register an email address there, and insert a code found on your OJ, you can do good things - like save rainforest acreage. Seriously. And "Polly-Annish" as it is, I'm FOR doing good things like saving rainforest acreage.)

But someone needs to explain this advertising logic to me.

Yesterday I was talking to my guy and we both noticed the same advertisement we'd seen recently - and we were both commenting on the same oddity. The ad in question is for one of the any number of pharmaceutical products available to men who require assistance in bedroom/romance activity department. We've probably all seen this ad ... happy couple of a certain age (read "over teenagerhood"), holding hands, enjoying a sunset on a quiet beach all alone and they are soaking in a bathtub. Individually.

Now I'll freely admit that I'm a romantic. I believe in cards and gifts for absolutely no reason. I believe in holding hands and getting hugs whenever possible. I believe in listening and laughing and being there, no matter what. I believe in kisses on the hand as much as I do kisses on the neck. I believe in lighting up when I hear his voice. Actually I don't "believe" in that so much as it just happens. I can't help that. It's really quite ... nice .......

uhhhhhhhhh I was sayin'' sommmmmmething .... OH yeah, right ...

So don't tell me I'm not a romantic. But if I'm on the beach with my guy and it's a quiet moment, and the sun is setting, and the timing is right - why is he in his own tub? The product is all about two people in a stable relationship enjoying the romance in life after all.

And while were at it - why would this same guy need a pill to throw a football through a tire swing?

1 comment:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

See, being more of a realist, I'd like to know why there were tubs on the beach. LOL.

"Um, you know, Hal, I've been thinking the current ad campaign. Smiling Bob looks, well, like a jerk. No one wants to be in the same room with the guy...let alone have sex with him. Can't we 'clean it up a bit?'"

Nothing says "romance" like side-by-side claw foot tubs.