Tuesday, March 3, 2009

... In Which I'm Introduced By My Boss.

I was driving this morning, while it was pouring rain. I actually enjoy my commute, even when it's not so nice out. I was pondering all that I'd do today, the things that I'd accomplish, and just general "life" things. (Feel free to read this as "day dreaming about my guy and other mooshie stuff".)

Towards the end of my drive, I found myself having to change lanes from the middle lane to the lane to the right. Typically I'd use my blinker but, as there was no one behind me, I decided to just see if there was space for me in the right lane. There was a red and white Mini in that lane with juuuuust enough space between us that I could *probably* cut in, but I decided against it. Since there was no one behind me, I slowed down. The Mini also slowed just a bit, due to stopped traffic ahead. At this point, I turned on my blinker and came to a total stop. (Again - no one was behind me so it was alright.) I will admit that while I did this, I may have participated in a few not-so-nice ideas about the driver of this Mini, who had now caused me to lose all of about 2 seconds of my "nice commute". Funny how quickly one can become indignant, isn't it?


In any event, I found myself 2 cars behind the Mini as we all turned right - and then directly behind the Mini about a block later. When we both turned into the same parking lot, I noticed that the Mini was having - or WOULD be having - muffler trouble soon. The exhaust manifold which in this car leads from underneath the engine block down the length of the car and out the tailpipe had lost a bracket - and was hanging dangerously close to the pavement. I decided that, as we were now "parking lot buddies", I'd do this person a favor and let them know about their automotive malfunction before it became a problem. I *could* have ranted and raved about the whole "not letting me cut in" thing too but really - no harm was done.

I will point out that I decided to go the "nice" route BEFORE the driver of the Mini got out ... BEFORE I realized the driver of the Mini is my boss.

So I told her to get her exhaust manifold checked the next time her car was up on the rack, and she thanked me for providing her a car maintenance warning. She also said it'd be good for me to attend the all-staff meeting in 30 minutes, since she'd be introducing me. (This was the same meeting I'd decided while getting dressed this morning that I would attend virtually, as I'm still quite sneezey from the flu *and* not really "office presentable" in my manner of dress today.)

Forty-five minutes later, she received a loud round of laughter with this introduction: "Jules comes to us via a typical route of making huge bundles of money for a company and then guilting them into giving portions of the profits to charity. Along with keeping us within our budget and making sure I know what I'm talking about before I speak, she happily provides me with emergency chocolate *and* car maintenance bulletins, for which I'm grateful. She spends her spare time as an active rabid foodie, and makes references of deep fried dill pickle slices, roasted asparagus soup and everything in-between. She has an attentive boyfriend that sends her flower bouquets that should be used in famous paintings. Be nice to her."

I'm thinking of hiring her to do my PR from now on.

1 comment:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Wow. Yeah, I'd put her on retainer.
And, I'd send a basket of fried pickles to her on Friday.

But, that's just me. ;)