Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sing It With Me

Over this past weekend, during a grocery run, I tossed a magazine into my shopping cart. The main story was about Grace Kelly and the cover photo was intriguing enough that it made me wanna read the article (which, let's be honest, is the job of the cover photo).

Today, while passing time in an auto shop repair lobby, I found myself thumbing through the other pages. I stopped on a well-written piece about the two individuals who created "Time" magazine and, before I knew it, I was sucked in. (And I identify the piece as "well-written" because I don't read the magazine they created and wasn't all that curious about the process they took to get it started before I started reading.)

I passed the waiting time (all three hours of it) reading and pondering. Afterwards, I went to get my morning coffee (*sigh* at 1:30pm) and returned home. I was still chewing on all I'd taken in when I opening up my laptop. From my homepage, there was a link ... from Time Magazine ... on the "100 most influential people in the world" and, for whatever reason, I once again found myself reading about something I'd ordinarily pass by.

Not surprisingly, there were a number of names on this list that the general public doesn't yet know (but likely will). I clicked on a few that looked interesting and then found myself drawn to a videolink about actor/director Ben Stiller and the charity work he's been funding that's going on in Haiti.

It seems he created his own non-profit ("StillerStrong") and was doing work in Haiti before the huge earthquake they recently experienced. The workers that were based on-site managed to reopen their school sooner that expected, if for no other reason than to provide a gathering place, a day care, and a safe place for children to be - as an alternative to spending their days on the streets.

The team that StillerStrong partnered with? Architecture for Humanity Haiti.


And then - just now, in fact - an ex-coworker of mine sent me an email asking if I knew that I was in AFH's book about the Biloxi rebuilding project. (I did not know I was in it - I knew that said book existed, 'tho.)

********
It's a world of laughter, a world of fears.
It's a world of joy, and a world of fears.
There's so much that we share that it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all.

No comments: