Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Best fishes for a quick recovery

Cats purr when they're in pain. It's true. When cats are cornered, in despair, or physically in pain, they will purr. See, it's we humans that noticed that cats purr when they're content so we always associate purring with being happy and safe, but a cat in pain, or even just in danger, will purr.

And it's not that strange, if you stop and think about what cat-loving humans do when we hear a purr. Typically, we slow down and enjoy the sound. We'll smile, or take a deep breath, and just enjoy the sound. Well that's what a cat is doing - trying to calm down and manage things. Much like some folks have a mantra they use to regain their composure, a cat will purr to do the same thing. Heck - humans cry when we're sad, or in pain, or yes, when we're happy or overwhelmed, so it's a similar reaction.

I mention this whole "why cats purr" thing because I had to take Hobbes in for dental work yesterday morning. He got four of his tiny little teeth removed (they were causing him pain), and came home very hungry, groggy, and not very amused about his left arm having been shaved (to allow for the IV during his procedure). He has pain management and recovery medications that I'll be giving to him over the next several days, which in and of itself should be quite amusing/frustrating for both of us.

At 4am, he came strolling into the bedroom and was purring so loudly he woke me up from a very sound sleep. He kept at it for about 4 minutes until it dawned on me that he was asking for relief, not expressing his gratitude for being home.

It's about 1:30pm now and I'm watching him as he rests on the couch. He keeps one eye open to watch Minnie, who is curled up on the footstool. I don't know how long a cats memory goes back, but I hope he soon forgets the trauma of yesterday's visit to his vet. I'd rather he think of how warm, safe, and pain-free he is right now. And I hope he's purring.

No comments: