Thursday, January 3, 2008

Wait - where the hell am I?

I don't think of my county of residence as particularly hip, with-it, happenin' ... or whatever slang term you kids use these days. There are, apparently, things I take for granted, 'tho. I take for granted that there are three - count 'em THREE - conglomerate coffee houses within easy walking distance from my home. I also take for granted that there is a trustworthy mechanic, two high-end grocery stores (and a third that I can use for "basics"), two large pharmacies, and several cute little shops literally no further than a mile and a half from my home. But again - we're NOT a "hip" town. Trust me on this.

So when I found myself traveling yesterday, I decided that I could just buy my favorite "traveling magazines" at the grocery store at the other town after I landed. After all, I had some basics to pick up and knew I was going to a large store, so how difficult would it be to find "Vanity Fair" and "Vogue", right? In fact, I was really looking forward to picking up Vanity Fair - go take a look online at the cover for January 2008, I'll wait.

.....

.....

Ok - so now you know WHY I wanted this issue.

So I go to the grocery store and ... *buzzer* .. strike one. No "Vanity Fair". Two racks of "Hunters Seasonal", "Quilting Today", "Vegans and their Kitchens", "Quilters Quarterly", "Moosers Mauling Monthly", "Weekly Veganism", etc - you get the idea. And then, on the third rack, AHA! - The telling letters peaking out from the top - what looked like a "V" and a "O" ... "Vogue"! Oh happy day!!!!! Maybe I COULD fit in here if I had to - heck, place can't be all bad - they hunt, they like to stay warm, they eat well, and they read "Vogue".

So I reach out and grab the magazine, smiling wide ... "Yoga".

Freaking "Yoga" magazine.

I'm too cosmopolitan for this town ...

No comments: