Yesterday my mom and I headed to the movie theater to watch "Enchanted". It was a flick she knew that her two perfect granddaughters were too young for but that she wanted to see. I have Mondays off, so I decided that a little distraction from life would be a good thing for both of us. The road to hell is paved with these good intentions, right?
I made the mistake of opening my mail just as she arrived for our movie. Further, I made the mistake of being cocky about opening one piece of mail in particular - the results of my mammogram. I figured that after my father having a heart attack in October, my cousin having her second round of Cancer in mid-January, and my aunt (the cousin's mom) now perishing from her OWN round of Cancer diagnosed at the end of January, I'd get a pass. I've done my time. I've paid my dues. This would be a slam dunk. This note would read "thanks for showing up for your first ever mammogram. First off, nice rack!!! We were very impressed that you volunteered to do this preventative procedure - several months early even! GOOD for you! That shows great judgment on your part. Oh, and yeah, we found nothing unusual there (save again for the spectacular nature of said items being examined) so see you next year."
But it doesn't work that way.
More accurately it didn't work that way.
But I couldn't react, because my mother was standing right there ... and her sister is the "aunt" mentioned above. And her niece is the "cousin" mentioned above. Adding "daughter" to that list just didn't seem like a very Christian thing to do at the time.
So yesterday in the mail I was told to return for more testing for something the doctors found in my stupid, clearly-not-spectacular-at-all "rack". I went to the movies with my mom. We watched "Enchanted" about the lost and afraid princess living in an overwhelming world, being chased by the evil and scary step-mother who wants to kill her and who is finally rescued by a guy who steps forward and says "yeah, actually, I DO believe in you."
I went home and I called to make my appointment - which is for tomorrow at 1pmPT. Then I went to the grocery store to buy items for a dinner I would not make and wouldn't have been able to eat anyway. I wound up not going in because I was too messy for pubic viewings.
I stand by my "terms" post made earlier today. These scribblings of mine will NOT be about the state of my health, head, or heart. But I'll take your pity, your prayers, and any good calming breezes you'd like to send my way. Or, if you have a way to fill in the potholes I keep falling into, that'd be appreciated, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Jules, you KNOW I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Jules---I'll be thinking of you this afternoon. (((Hugs))) from Sac-town.
That's funny, I had the exact same feeling after my accident - I can never be hurt or sick again because I did more than my time. My uterus begged to differ though, lol. Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way?
Post a Comment