Monday, January 5, 2009

"Well, it ain't called 'fall to gracious'"

A quick check of the calendar today reminded me that my presence is being requested at a luncheon this Thursday to recognize a certain body of 2008 volunteers. I sighed and commented to my guy "I realize that this will come off sounding VERY ungracious but I REALLY LOTHE such things" and his response titled today's ramblin'.

I checked Websters and the listing for "gracious" included things like "marked by kindness and warm courtesy" and "of a compassionate or merciful nature".

So here's the thing: I do what I do for MY reasons. Just like I choose the charities I work with for MY reasons. I realize that there are benefits in volunteering and donating and such. There are tax breaks to be had, there's that warm fuzzy undefined feeling of doing something good, there's the making room in the closet for the next shopping trip thing. I understand all of that. And as far as whatever anyones reasons ARE for whatever they do, more power to 'em. I'm so much more about the just doin' SOMETHING than the whys behind the action itself.

As such, the whole idea of being recognized for what I "gave" (time, energy, compassion, work, money, whatever) just makes me squirm. That being said, I will go on Thursday. I'll accept - with as much graciousness as I can muster - the gratitude or whatever being offered because that is what is being offered. Just like my time, energy, compassion, work, money, whatever was what I offered.

It's a give and take kinda thing, this "grace".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People like to be able to reciprocate because of their gratitude. I understand that you hate the attention but to rob people of the opportunity to express their appreciation just leaves them feeling like they are not being able to fulfill their very human need.

However, there is a trick to getting out of these things or to be able to go and take the focus off yourself. Whenever someone wishes to honor you, and you know in advance, pull them aside and tell them who you believe is more deserving of the honor. It is what Paul Newman use to do. He got tired of all the tributes and would let the organization know who else would be deserving of such an honor and how much it would mean to them and him if they got the tribute instead.

Congratulations on the honor! ;-)