Thursday, March 12, 2009

"I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty proud of it"

I have a label option for these brain dumps of mine - it's a standard Blogger feature and I've created some *very specific* ones ("Classic Cars", "KitchenAid", "Scharffenberger") and some pretty general ones ("Brain Barf", "Cats", "Fun and games").

Most times, I use a very general label ... "life". I figure "life" pretty much always covers things. I don't have a "health" label - and probably never will - 'cause all things health fall under "life". If I'm getting specific, I add to it ... so "life, rant" may be me channeling Dennis Miller and "life, gratitude" will likely be me at my Polly-Annish best.

No one would argue that, more often than not, writing a blog is a very ... well bold, outgoing, ego-centric kind of thing to do. Pre-blogs, we had diaries or journals (some of us still do) and those were typically private. (My first diary had a lock that, apparently, was useless ... but then, it's not like I'd written anything that private anyway. I knew my sister would read it.) But blogs are - for the most part - public domain.

I'm getting to the point ... be patient.

I have one label I haven't used much ... "Guilty Pleasure Shows". Given my sparse TV watching habits, it makes sense that this hasn't been used much. But, in the interest of using it and, with this being a blog and not a diary, here we go ...

Last weekend, there was a movie being shown on TV that is on my guilty pleasure movie list and I had to watch it. Had to. I love the music. I love the storyline. I love the stupid, extremely predictable dialogue and the oh-so-very-dated soundtrack (filled with songs that I'm also admitting to knowing most the lyrics to). I love the beyond-obvious outcome and resolution to the film. I sat there - transfixed - the moment I saw the familiar face of one of the main characters (an actor who probably wishes he'd never done the film) and hardly moved until the final copyright line scrolled beyond the screen.

Yes ... last weekend, I gleefully and happily spent 90 minutes of my life watching "Revenge of the Nerds" ... and I'm pretty proud of it.

1 comment:

kat said...

Kat Fact: When I was 18, I met the kid (now adult, of course) who played Wormser - I went to college with his brother.