Monday, May 4, 2009

You Are There. I Am Here. She'll Be Her Somewhere Else.

It's true. Wherever you are? You're there. You may not desire that location - heck, you may be mystified as to how you arrived there ... or how you'll depart from there - yet there you are.

Me? I'm here.

A year ago, there were days ... dark and ugly days indeed ... where I questioned if I'd be anywhere at all a year from then ... that is to say, if I'd be anywhere today. I'm still grateful - annoyingly so at times - that I am where I am - right "here". It isn't where I thought I'd be but, considering the alternatives, I'm truly and honestly at peace with "here". Not a heartbeat doesn't pass where I don't realize WHY it took nearly 41-years to get "here".

Even when "here" looks a little too familiar to my "there" of the late 80's, I can review the person I was when I was "there" and see that "she" woulda neeeeevvvvvvver been able to be "here" without having gone "there" first. I'm relieved that I walked away from "her" and from "there". It's not something "she" did alone, but "she" thanked those that needed to be thanked and I'm fine with how "she" and I left things.

And then, soon, I'll be somewhere else as "Her". I gotta say ... I envy "Her" so much. She's so deserving of what the me of now is preparing.

But that's somewhere that isn't "here" or "there". And it's "Her" job to get all of us from Here To There.

1 comment:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Great video.

I think I get what you mean - in my own way of course - with my own filters and experiences.

When I was 19 I was handed a box. I sorted through it. Saw some very valuable items - things many people cherish. And, they made me smile. But, I was only looking for some fun trinkets. So, I handed back the box.

I asked the person to hold it. I said that I might come back for it someday. Maybe.

22 years later...I found the person. And, he still had the box. It was safely buried but he thought he knew where to find it. The lock stuck just a bit. Yet, with just a tiny bit of effort, the box opened to reveal its contents.

All of the items I remembered were still there. Beautiful, cherished items I had longed to see again. Yet, there was more. Much more. Things I had overlooked while riffling through the first time now gleamed. Amazing, wonderful keepsakes were visible. Things that, ironically, even if I HAD seen them all those years ago, they wouldn't have impressed me. I would not have understood their value. Their significance. Their rarity.

This time...I've chosen to hold out my hands. And, accept the box with the tattered edges. And, sticky lock. And priceless contents. And, gaze at it everyday with awe and wonder.

The 19 year old wasn't ready for the gift. The 42 year old treasures it.