The ongoing discovery of the differences and interactions between women and men just fascinates me. Take, for instance, the following conversation …
Location: The Garden of Eden restaurant
Characters: Female who we’ll call “Eve”, Male who we'll name “Adam”, and Bartender, whom we’ll dub “Snake”
Setup: Eve and Adam are waiting for their table to be ready at the Garden of Eden. They are passing the time at the Garden Bar, and making polite conversation with Snake.
Snake: So possible transportation trouble, eh?
Adam: I’m sure it’ll be fine, Eve. Really – I’m sure it will all work out. (Adam has sensed that Eve is extremely worried about her recent transportation issue and, looking to reassure her, he places his hand on her knee, which makes Eve smile. He's pleased that his presence calms her. He is, after all, THE MAN.)
Eve: Well, I really hope so. I mean – I could be stranded at that long stretch of road between the groves and the farmland and gosh, that would really be a problem. (Adam watches as Eve says this, wondering if this is Eve's way of asking Adam for help, should she find herself stranded.)
Snake: Oh – so then you know the garden?
Eve: Not nearly as well as I should. I’m not from “here” specifically – but yes, I’m native to flower beds portion of the garden. (Watching Eve say this makes Adam wonder what she's been smoking. Adam knows damn well that Eve has never spent any REAL time in the flower beds portion of the garden. Is she trying to confuse the Snake - or Adam?)
Adam: Well you’re not really native to the flower beds portion of the garden, right? (To Snake) She’s actually not from that area of the garden. She’s more from the forest areas of the garden. (Adam returns his hand on her knee, to let Eve know the he is not at all worried about where she considers herself "from". He accepts her "as is".)
Their table is ready and so they go on to have a lovely meal, followed by a nice apple tart.
Later on that evening, while Eve tosses and turns, Adam sleeps soundly knowing that he has, once again, helped Eve figure out the answers to the tougher questions in life. It is not where you're from that matters, it is where you are going.
Adam awakens the next morning believing that Eve MAY actually be worth loosing that rib over after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment