Monday, May 5, 2008

The line between comedy and tragedy

An open blog to the woman on the cell phone with the BIG problems …

This Saturday, as I did errands around my small town, we passed each other on the street. I’d just parked my car around the corner from the Post Office, and was on my way to drop off several envelopes – some were letters to family members, others were payments to doctors and to the legal minds that I’ve been using as of late. You see, my Aunt is dying, and it appears to be happening sooner rather than later, so there are items that need my attention and I was distracted by those “life details”.

You, also, were distracted by your own “life details”. The snippet of your conversation that I overheard was as follows:

“I understand – I do – but you see – I’m just the kind of woman who doesn’t like topiary in plants and trees where ya’ wouldn’t ordinarily expect to see SEE topiary. It’s just … I have to draw the line there.”

So I COULD be bitter about this, but honestly – I wanna thank you. Thank you for making me laugh, even 48 hours later, at your statement. I actually want to spend my time now driving around town to see if I can figure out which house is yours so I can witness the horror that is your yard filled with the offending topiary in question.

Laughter and joy is where you find it, folks. Look for comedy and it will present itself to you in all forms and flavors. Just don't be so caught up in your own crappy "life details" that you miss the funny "life details". Because THAT would be a real bummer.

1 comment:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Someplace on eHarmony...I have a dusty profile. It says that I'm the type of gal who laughs out loud when Mr. Squirrel darts out into the street, stops short- up on his hind legs in front of my car - looks me dead in the eye, and appears to say "Whoa NILLY!" before darting back to the side he came from.

(Yeah, the guys are knocking down the doors after hearing that one.)

But, I'm a little...off.
And, I'm OK with that.
*wink*

As a person once told me when life was whirling around shooting daggers from all sides...

Jules, "Keep that sense of humor. It's critical."