Thursday, August 21, 2008

Adam and Eve

The ongoing discovery of the differences and interactions between men and women just fascinates me. Take, for instance, the following conversation …

Location: The Garden of Eden restaurant
Characters: Male who we’ll call “Adam”, Female who we'll name “Eve”, and Bartender, whom we’ll dub “Snake”
Setup: Adam and Eve are waiting for their table to be ready at the Garden of Eden. They are passing the time at the Garden Bar, and making polite conversation with Snake.

Snake: So possible transportation trouble, eh?

Adam: I’m sure it’ll be fine, Eve. Really – I’m sure it will all work out. (He places his hand on her knee, which makes Eve smile.)

Eve: Well, I really hope so. I mean – I could be stranded at that long stretch of road between the groves and the farmland and gosh, that would really be a problem.

Snake: Oh – so then you know the garden?

Eve: Not nearly as well as I should. I’m not from “here” specifically – but yes, I’m native to flower beds portion of the garden.

Adam: Well you’re not really native to the flower beds portion of the garden, right? (To Snake) She’s actually not from that area of the garden. She’s more from the forest areas of the garden.

Their table is ready and so they go on to have a lovely meal, followed by a nice apple tart.

Later on that evening, Eve reflected on Adam’s apparent need to be right. His absolute willingness to correct Eve about her own story of creation – in front of a total stranger (and a snake, no less) - left Eve wondering about Adam’s self-image. Perhaps Adam felt that he needed to remind Eve and Snake that he was, in fact, "THE MAN". Snake *did* have that lovely way of moving about the trees, and he had that very cool tongue thing going on and, while it was true that Eve was not flirting with Snake (and Adam KNEW this), she did talk to Snake quite a bit, which possibly irked Adam. Plus Snake and Eve also had the garden in common, which was more than Adam could claim, as he’d been created elsewhere.

Or perhaps, Eve thought as she drifted back to sleep, Adam was just being a pompous, know-it-all jackass. Yes, clearly that is why God made Eve second – to work out the problems with “Human v1.0”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Better the snake you know than the snake you don't know.