Monday, June 22, 2009

How I Don't Order Flowers

When I placed my order for flowers today, my office-neighbor noticed the information I didn't give. I didn't think much of it until I started reviewing the exchange of information in my head. I didn't give an address for delivery. I didn't give any information on what account to bill against. I never said my name ('tho my florist greeted me by my name). I never gave a name to be written on the outside of the envelope (beyond "Mom and Dad"). I never said what I was asking to be delivered. I didn't say what I wanted to spend on the order. And, for that matter, I never asked for a total, either.

In fact, when the florist answered the phone, the conversation went like this:
"Hi Pete - will you have some time to visit the Corvette and the dogs tomorrow? .... Yep, that's right, the annual order. ... Sure 'Thanks for the birthday' will work. ... Ha - they'd BETTER know who it's from! ... Ok, I'll be by for the receipt later this week. ... Remember, they're early risers so you can knock this one out early and then get on with your day. ... Great thanks."

And *that*, folks, is why Pete gets my business. I'd like to see "One Eight-hundred Blossoms" match that kind of service.

No comments: