Sunday, October 18, 2009

In Which I'm Mistaken As "Emmy" In The 1987 Singular-Word Movie Title

I know that I've ... talked? said? written? ... before about my not having the ability to respond to a comment with the perfect comeback. For reasons I'm not sure about, I keep thinking that I'll outgrow this tongue tiedness at some point and will find myself in a situation where I will magically have the right words at the right time with the right inflection. I continue to be surprised that I've not yet reached that point. I'm beginning to think that perhaps that may never happen. I guess I should instead work on letting these occasions just float past me sans comment. THAT will take time, too I know.

For instance: last week, in a fairly tight-spaced area that was rather crowded with people, I pushed myself against a wall in a corner space to allow for others to walk past me ... it seemed to be the polite thing for me to do. I guess I was standing quite still while doing this because a complete stranger was startled to realize that I was not a mannequin. Her exact words to me were "Oh! I thought you were a dummy."

Now, I did a good job of joking about this for the rest of the week. I would refer to the poor choice of her words flippantly, as in "... but what do I know, I'm just a dummy" and "well, I'd do THIS, but then - I'm a dummy". And I of course know what the woman MEANT to say ... buuuuuut that's not what came outta her mouth.

And that this slip of someone else's tongue is festering in my brain so many days later - that I'm hearing her words echoing in my head and it is still making me cringe - makes me feel like I'm ........... an Egyptian modern-thinking princess stuck in an ancient time and forced to live through many hundreds of years until finding an unselfish partner who appreciates me as I am.

No comments: