Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just Another Day

It wasn't far from my mind ... though I made sure it wasn't the focal point, either. While yesterday wasn't just any other day, I decided that I wouldn't think of it as a big deal - it'd WOULD be just another day. I'd say that I made that decision for the sake of my own sanity, but I also had the sanity of those near me in mind as well. My mindset was basically that of "this will only be a big deal if I MAKE it a big deal" and, truthfully, I didn't want it to be a big deal. Perhaps "noted", but nothing more.

So I made pie.

Strawberry ...

... and apple (with crust from SCRATCH!!!!) ...

... and caramel apple (with crust from SCRATCH!!!!) ...
(no post-baked shot on that yet, but I'll add it in).

And another apple (which I WAS just gonna freeze but it was too tall so I baked it off).


In any event, I kept busy. I SHOULD have been shopping for shelves or lighting or couches or unpacking more boxes ... but I had these GREAT apples to work with and decided that it was more important to spend the day baking in the kitchen making pies to thank those close to me. It felt better this way - rather than spending time sitting quietly and possibly "getting into my head" too much - to reach out with an expression of thanks.

With no electronic distractions in the home, I've found that I actually enjoy the silence, but I imagine that if my brain started to take me down a dark road, it'd be hard to change course so - I just did things that I wanted to do (rather than the "really should do" stuff). And I had a really nice day, even though my back kinda hurt from spending most of my day standing in the kitchen, either near the oven or at the sink.

But my day was made - absolutely MADE - when my guy showed up at the end of his work day with these LOVELY flowers for no reason at all. (What's better than pie for no reason? Flowers for no reason!!)
Once I found a vase and got them in some water, I turned to him and asked him why ... and he very quietly said that he'd wanted to do this for a bit, and that he didn't wanna make a big deal outta the day but figured that I'd appreciate them on "this day".

I still don't know how he remembered ... and I honestly don't know how he managed to figure out my state of mind over recognizing the passing of my "procedural anniversary" ... and I don't even know how he found time to get flowers and still be home at his usual time, but then, the reasons and hows aren't important.

He just ... did. And I just ... do. And we just ... are.

It turned out to be just another day.

No comments: