We all have a routine. It may not be structured day-by-day, but there are things we do that we just ... do. There are things that we expect - not necessarily detailed or fancy - that we just expect. The paper being on the door step in the morning, the radio traffic reports at a specific time, maybe even a "usual time" for the mail being delivered or a usual spread on our usual sandwich made with our usual bread. These little "count-ons" seem normal and regular to us - but other folks have THEIR routine too - and gosh, are THEY ever picky!!!
I was standing in line for my coffee this morning, and the individual in front of me just could not get over the shop not having strawberry topping for her Friday bagel. Even after the staff explained that they had to toss out their stash because it had reached the expiration date, and that it was a seasonal item anyway, this person was just aghast that her "usual" was no longer available. She wasn't upset at the staff - she understood it was not their decision - but now she had to change her routine and that really seemed to bug her.
My first reaction was one of "geez - get over it lady". My second was a more smug "see, this wouldn't happen if you had a stash of homemade jam". And my third reaction was just beginning to wash over me when I heard a voice behind the counter say "Oh hi! Your usual order"?
Busted. Totally and completely busted.
So yes, I have a routine. Not including my coffee order, I have my usual table, where I setup my laptop and power it up before I place my order. I have my usual parking area where I can keep an eye on who parks next to me, in an effort to avoid door dings. I have my usual route to get to the cafe, and even a usual time by which I've arrived. All these usuals are tied to just this one event in my day - getting coffee.
Of course, like everyone else, I also have a whole routine prior to getting out of the house each day and, while the events of each day may be somewhat varied, there are things that I already fall back on, even though I've lived here a total of 29 days. It seems that, as humans, we really are creatures of habit.
And, that being said, it's not my habit to spend the entire morning here so I'm gonna wrap up, drive my standard route back home, back into the driveway (as I typically do) and go enjoy what has become my usual Friday routine.
(damn, now I'm craving toast and strawberry jam)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmm. You know, I just brought cream cheese home for my bagels. But, tonight, I'm having jam. Yep, I'm cracking into a double or triple berry glass jar of goodness...and love.
And, I think I might even share. But, only with the 2 most important people in my life. (Everyone else can eat cream cheese.)
*Hugs the jam* ;)
Oh, about routine. Yeah, I used to have a "regular" order at the BK in the morning. Then they started playing with the employee schedule. And, I started making my own coffee and snackage at home. Cheaper. And, I get to swap out flavored coffees ifen I want. But, yeah, I totally get the "the world will not end if you don't get your __" while standing behind someone. But, then my __ isn't available, and my heart sinks.
Speaking of which - Introduced my sweety to the amazing chinese carryout down the road. it's been there for about 5 years and I drive there as much as possible so it stays open. We drove there last week. Closed. I called it. I swear, I almost cried.
Is it peppermint season yet? ;)
Sorry so late on this... I'm dreadfully behind on blog reading.
Post a Comment