Friday, July 6, 2007

The gift that keeps on giving

I knew that I'd be receiving a birthday gift package from Scott because he told me he'd sent one. I don't think he realized the depth of his gift … and, even though I'm good with words, I don't think I'll ever be able to tell him.

The gift included a copy of the July/August edition of This Old House magazine. On Page 21 is a photo of a mom with 6 kids in front of what looks to be a house that's still got some work to have done on it, which makes sense because that's exactly what it is. The article talks about the work that Architecture for Humanity is doing throughout the Gulf Coast region.

When I look at the picture they've used though, I see a photo of Karen Parker and her six AMAZING children, including Natalie, her second oldest daughter, in front of their new home (not a "house" – a "home"). I know that Natalie is really looking forward to having a room to share with just one sister, instead of two, in an actual HOME, instead of a FEMA trailer. I know this because I helped build that home, and because I met and worked with Natalie, Karen, and the rest of the Parker family.

The article is brief, concise and includes a quote from Kate Stohr, a friend of mine for two years now. We met when I approached her and her husband, Cameron, on behalf of the company I work for, asking if they could please find a project for a bunch of unskilled but eager volunteers in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I vividly remember Cameron's response – "How many and when?" It was *so* totally different from what I'd heard up until that point – which was "we're not ready in New Orleans". After hearing that a couple of dozen times, I wanted to scream "but this was a big fricken' storm and I can walk across New Orleans in half a day. Isn't there anybody who wants help?"

I don't take "no" easily – and that's even more true when I know the person telling me "no" has no authority to represent more than three states worth of people. I was watching the TV after Katrina hit just like everyone else – you can't tell me that the government had a clue as to how to help, even 7 months afterwards. That I ignored so many "no"s until I was told "yes" is just the Irish in me. The difference is that, this time, I was right to continue to push for a "yes".

Someday I'll be calm enough to write Scott a proper thank you for the rest of the things in his package to me – a journal because he knows that each time I go to Biloxi, I write each day for the sake of my company and for the sake of my soul, and a story/cookbook from Matt and Ted Lee, the guys behind the Lee Brothers Boiled Peanuts Catalogue. I'll figure out something clever and charming to say and it will probably come easy to me. If I'm feeling especially talented, I may order something from the Lee catalogue to arrive with my thank you note to him.

But the magazine? It's been in my hands now for more than 4 hours, and I can't look at the Parkers without welling up – knowing that they're home.

How do you thank a friend for a $5.00 magazine that is actually a priceless gift?

No comments: