I have a friend who has the same name as someone who could be considered, in some circles, famous. Not "Bill Clinton" or "Brad Pitt" famous … more like "Stephan Pastis" famous. Some folks will immediately know that name, some will look it up. THAT kind of "famous".
The "famous" person died – last year, apparently.
It was VERY strange to write to my friend and tell him that Scott Goddard was no longer alive.
It got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing) about … well, not necessarily "death" but more of the process of recognizing death when you're among the living. For instance, I've had certain parts of my funeral/service/whatever you want to call it planned since I was 19 years old. I know that sounds overly-dramatic, but I had practical reasons for it. I know that I want the day to be similar to a typical Creole/Cajun event. 'Tho I'm *very* conservative on a lot of things (yeah, that's an understatement, I know), when it comes to death, I really believe that you're on this Earth for the amount of time you're supposed to be on this Earth and those that remain behind should celebrate the time they've had with you. The Cajuns got this right, in my book. The only downbeat part of a typical Creole/Cajun funeral is the procession itself and even then, the music? How can you not smile when a squeeze-box is playin'??
In fact, I know the music that I want played (various upbeat Beach Boys tunes, and the only specific tune would be the Mama's and the Papa's "Dream A Little Dream"). I also know that I want it to be a very casual picnic kind of a thing. I want there to be kids and dogs and frisbee and maybe it could be at the beach if the weather cooperates. If a glass of champagne was raised in my name, I wouldn't object.
Oh, and if my sister is there, it'd be ok by me for her to tell the story of how she broke my wedding-band fingernail (forever screwing it up) when we were kids, or that time when I put my hand through the glass of our bedroom door when she and Suzie were smoking "basil" and wouldn't share with me. I think my nieces would really get a kick outta knowing about their aunt and their mom as kids.
I think that, too often, the "dearly departed" become almost saintly in their demise, and that's a shame because people are so much more interesting in their flawed state than in their PERFECT one.
So I should be pretty damned fascinating.
Farewell Scott – never knew ya', but thanks for my cover-music. (Scott Goddard's "You Break It, You Bought It" music CD can be purchased on Amazon.com)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment