Late start today, but I decided to blame the weather instead of my health. It was SUCH a lovely morning, so I remembered to take my camera with me as I headed out the door for my hour-long commute to headquarters.
When you see the same things over and over through sleepy eyes, it's easy to take them for granted. Many years ago, when I was working as an editor, I would literally gasp at the beauty laid out before me as I crested the hill before entering the freeway … the Northern California mountains that I'd seen all my life would literally take my breath away as the sun hit them. Better still was the idea that just beyond that was the Pacific Ocean, probably fogged in – making the workday seem even LESS tempting. I love being at the beach in fog or rain, when no one else is there, and typically bring a book and a thermos of hot chocolate with a blanket and settle in on the sand. I also LOVE the idea of having to drive through the forest to get to the water … there's something very balancing about that to me.
As I dropped down into the city proper, I turned on my camera. I will preface the rest of this entry by stating that one should NOT take photos while one is driving. It is dangerous. It is testing fate. It will make one look like a tourist. It is also a lot of fun. Play along, won't you?
I've written already about my "Big City Office"
being in a prime location just beyond the Bay Bridge 
and now I can prove it to you. As you can see, it is a small brick building with windows that actually OPEN (which is practically unheard of in this day and age) and is directly across from the Ferry Building,
which is … well, it's "Foodie Heaven". There are other landmarks that I hardly ever look twice at, like Coit Tower
and the Palace of Fine Arts
… all of which lead up to the MOST famous of landmarks in this part of the woods, the Golden Gate Bridge … aka GGB.
Again, I don't recommend you take photos while crossing it. OH, and do not try taking photos after you enter the Rainbow Tunnel, either.
From there, after a little case of car envy,
and getting a front-row seat of Mt. Tam in mid-morning sunlight,
I drive around the back of the building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright,
and I pull into my destination.
So yeah, today was a travelogue. Truth be told, I will probably experiment with this kind of thing a few more times before I head to Biloxi in mid-August, because I want to get this whole "blogging/photo" process down ahead of time. Plus it was an excuse to play tourist … and to freak out that guy in front of me in his Ferrari, who probably thought I was a P.I. hired by his wife to tail him.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
This doesn’t count as a carpool, does it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment