The ONLY reason I came in to work today was to go to lunch with my dear friend Tim. We are the real life version of Will and Grace, without the past relationship stuff. He (and another very sweet friend) sent me flowers on my bday but he didn't feel right about them being "late" (can't see how they could be late, since they were totally unexpected, actually but I digress) so off we go to lunch.
Tim and I … we talk in couples-shorthand just because … well, we just do. I can't explain the depth of our friendship. Suffice to say that there really isn't anything I wouldn't do for him. We've argued, we've laughed, we've cried, we've confided, we've critiqued, we've supported, we've torn down, and we've, at times, stood by knowing that we'd be needed after the rest of the world had let us down. I tell him when his fly is down. He tells me when I have crap in my teeth. When we go to coffee, we remark on other people and play the "there's your next relationship" game. (Awful, I know, but it's THAT kind of friendship.) There isn't ever a reason for me to edit myself around him which I thank God for everyday because my "edit" button just doesn't always work. Ok, that's not accurate. My "edit" button NEVER works. I think it's stuck on "mute".
So Tim and I sat outdoors at a cafĂ© near my "big city" office and had lunch. We haven't spent much time together since his job moved to a different part of the company, but we picked up right where we left off … making "Friends" references ("ya' know – hitting your head like that is only fun when it's a headboard"), people-watching, "how's life treatin' ya?" and just generally hanging out. Especially lately, I've been quiet and even more reserved than usual, something which would push some folks away … but not Tim. He just tossed it all aside and called me on a BS response and … he shined. He cheered me on towards the unknown, telling me to go boldly into whatever the future has in store ... to toss in my heart and my soul because, after all, that's what friends are supposed to encourage each other to do.
I love being Tim's Grace.
No comments:
Post a Comment