Monday, July 9, 2007

This evening, on Entertainment Tonight, we’ll talk about … nothing.

It's always fun to speculate about people. Wait – no – what I meant to say was that it's always fun to speculate about OTHER people. Recently, I've become a small focal point of some tiny amount of speculation. As someone who values her private life with "great anger and furious vengeance", this focus in any amount is unwarranted, unnecessary, unrequested, uncomfortable, unneeded and – honestly – it's pissing me off.

As humans, we tend to like talking about ourselves. What do we know the most about – have the most information on, know the most details involving, have the innermost thoughts of if not ourselves? Let's get real – "myspace" wouldn't exist if this weren't true and reality TV would be dead air. (I'm not gonna debate what it is now – I have my opinions, but they're mine.) Don't get me wrong – there are things about me I like talking about – the cheesecake-making, volunteer-working self – but there are things that, no apologies, are no one's damned business but my own. (No, I'm not gonna list them here, dumba$$ - haven't you been paying attention???)

There's a celebrity chef currently who may, or may not, be going through a rough patch in their personal life. Man – you should hear what they're saying about … oh, wait – you probably HAVE heard. I don't watch this person's shows. I don't own any of their cookbooks. I have never met this person or any members of their family. I DO know that there are lots of folks that could also say these same things but boy – they all have their two cents to add in, don't they? Ya' know what? It's my two cents, thank you – I'm keeping it.

Imagine what Mary Hart would have to say …

No comments: