I stopped drinking about a year ago. I didn't make a big deal about it, and truth be told, I still enjoy the occasional glass of champagne, but all hard alcohol stopped in 2006 after waking up one morning after a "lunch" with a friend that started at 11:30am and wrapped up at 9pmish. I woke up the next morning feeling … perfectly fine. TOO good, in fact. I should have felt awful, but I didn't, and I vividly remember thinking "uh oh. THIS can't be a good sign."
There is a long alcoholic bloodline that pulses through these Irish/Yugoslav veins of mine. I've always been hyper-sensitive to the potential booze-hound that lurks in my genetic makeup, but the good news is that I don't impose my limits, bans, habits, or avoidances on those around me. Just because I don't partake doesn't mean I can't be around alcohol and doesn't mean I can't be around those that imbibe. In fact, I was with Andy and Scott in Las Vegas last November and it took them a few days to realize that I wasn't ordering my usual Cape Cods, premium tequila shots, and martinis.
But, if you'll excuse the pun, the sobering part of this entry is realizing how MUCH I've been able to drink in the 18 legal partaking years I've had. There are certain alcohols that I've never developed a taste for (Scotch), and some that I've poisoned myself on (various flavors of Schnapps). Ahhhhh but there ARE some that I miss, and I speak of Vodka. I clued into exactly how much I've "learned" in personal experiences with Vodka when banging out a list off the top of my head of ones that I've had - and without thinking on it, I managed to list about a dozen brand names. And, if I'd spent a few moments in reflection, I'm sure I could have doubled that without too much hesitation.
The thing is that I don't know how long my "wagon" trip will last, and I'm not saying that I'll fall off it even. If I do, I at least know that I'll have enough strength and intelligence to figure it out. I just don't want to ever hear myself say that I NEED a drink – and actually mean it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment